Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Crafts

I didn't get to make as many things as I had hoped for Christmas/gifts. I did make these glasses and really loved how they turned out! I made two sets - one for my sister and one for my sister-in-law. I bought the wine glasses at the Dollar Tree and used paint that we had on hand, so these were very inexpensive, handmade gifts. I used the end of a paintbrush to put the dots on the glasses (a wooden skewer or something similar would probably have been better). I liked the way the glasses looked when I started with the darkest color and ended with the lightest.




After the paint dried, I put all of the glasses on a cookie sheet and placed it in a cold oven. I turned the oven up to 350 and let them bake for about 30 minutes. Then, I turned the oven off and let the glasses sit in the oven until they were cool. This process is supposed to "set" the acrylic paint and make them safe for use in the dishwasher. I made two glasses for myself to try out the process. We don't have a dishwasher - but they have held up to hand washing just fine.


I also used this process on a couple of ornaments. I didn't bake the ornaments - I didn't feel like they needed to be dishwasher safe. The hardest part was trying to find a way to hold the ornaments without touching the wet paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment