Friday, November 16, 2012

Big Girl Bed

After more than 6 weeks of Sophie refusing to sleep in her crib (and sleeping between me and Danny), we decided that maybe it was time to transition to a big girl bed. So, last night, we took the front part off of Sophie's crib, making it into a toddler bed. I cried a little. Such a bittersweet moment! Sophie loved it immediately! She jumped into her own bed. (And on her own bed, while singing "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed." When she got to the "one fell off and bumped her head" part, she would slide off the bed and lay down on the floor.) Luck would have it that I found a great deal a couple of weeks ago and ordered Sophie a fleece Minnie Mouse blanket with her name embroidered on it, and UPS delivered it yesterday, as we were showing Sophie her new big girl bed. I was pleasantly surprised at how much she liked it. 

After RCIA last night, I talked with Sophie on the way home from Grandma and Grandpa's house, letting her know that we would be going to her big girl bed. She was excited. As soon as we walked in the door, she ran upstairs and got into her bed. I let her drink her cup of milk in bed and sat on the floor next to her. About 20 minutes later, she was snoring! She was so excited to get into her bed that I didn't even change her out of her clothes. I didn't want to distract her from the excitement of it all!



She woke up a few times during the night. I would hear her say "Mommy" but she wasn't crying, really. I just went to her each time and sat with her while she went back to sleep. She didn't fall out at all. Her longest stretch of sleep was about 3 1/2 hours....not too bad in my mind. Each time I'd get up with her (which was maybe 3 times), it would only take her a few times to fall back to sleep.

This morning, as I was in our bedroom getting dressed, I heard her call for me. She was standing at the gate at her door. When I went to get her, she turned and ran back to her bed, yelling "I don't want to!"  She didn't want to leave her room! I know that one night doesn't sound like much, for the battle we've been fighting the past few months, it felt like such a sweet victory to have our bed back! I will keep talking it up to Sophie and encouraging her to sleep in there again and again.

Here's my little munchkin this morning (continuing the obsession with all things birthday - wearing a Big Bird birthday hat). She was smiling before I took the picture. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment