Saturday, February 2, 2013

Book Club

A little over a year ago, I joined a Book Club. Honestly, the Book Club is an excuse to keep in touch with some of the women that I worked with for several years. It's nice to have one night a month that is guaranteed be fun and child free. Here are the books that we have read:

"The Magician" by Lev Grossman - I bought this book, but couldn't get into it. I gave up after only a chapter or two.

"Room" by Emma Donoghue - I LOVED this book - very reminiscent of the Jaycee Dugard story, but it was from the perspective of the son born to the victim and the perpetrator.

"Hunger Games" Trilogy by Suzanne Collins - I was completely addicted to these three books. Rarely have I jumped on a book bandwagon (I never was into the Harry Potter series or Twilight), but I couldn't stop reading these!

"Bossypants" by Tina Fey - This was a nice book to read following the "Hunger Games" trilogy - light and funny.

"Little Bee" by Chris Cleave - I couldn't get into this one, either. It's still on my nightstand. 

"Lone Wolf" by Jodi Picoult - I read about half of this book. I'm normally a huge Jodi Picoult fan, but I found myself unconnected to any character in the book and really just didn't care to find out how it ended. 

"The Cornbread Mafia" by James Higdon - I really enjoyed this book, but I did not like the way it was written. It's the true story of the largest domestic marijuana operation in US history, but the story jumped around a lot. I prefer to hear a story from beginning to end and this book seemed a bit disorganized to me. 

"The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel - I absolutely loved this book (and the movie was stunning). 

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn - I enjoyed this book until I got to the end, and then I felt like I had just waited so much of my life by reading the book. I didn't like the ending AT ALL. 

"The Wonderful World of Oz" by Frank Baum - I was the only one who read this book this month (that's a first!). I wasn't able to attend Book Club last month when they chose this book, so I didn't know if I was supposed to read all 14 books in the Oz series, or three of the books ("The Wizard of Oz," "Glinda of Oz," and "The Emerald City of Oz," or just the first book). I eventually came to the conclusion that I should read the three books listed above. I only finished the first one and really, really enjoyed it. I went to Book Club this week and was fully prepared to admit that once again, I didn't finish the book. I was shocked to hear that I was the only member to read any of the books!

For February, we are reading "The Dovekeepers" by Alice Hoffman. The group also chose the book for March at the same time - "The Dressmaker" by Kate Alcott. 

No comments:

Post a Comment