Friday, October 19, 2012

Continuing on...

Since I last blogged, I've attended (and participated in!) two more RCIA classes. It's been a long time since I could say that I'm right where I need to be, but each Thursday night, that's exactly how I feel....gathered in the cry room at Church, sharing and learning about our faith. It's exactly what I need right now. Two weeks ago, we talked about how Catholics interpret the Bible. We had a great conversation and I really enjoyed learning more about the not-so-literal interpretation of Scripture. Last night, we talked about the meaning of Mass. Now, to be honest, I have not been great about attending Mass on Sundays. I have countless excuses (no one to go with, taking Sophie by myself, nervous about putting Sophie in the nursery, feeling a little out of place - not taking Communion, not knowing all the right times to stand and kneel and all the right responses). None of those excuses are really worth missing the weekly Mass. I knew that Mass was important in the Catholic faith, but I don't think I realized just how important it was until last night. It is one thing that will connect us all - not just the people in the church that I attend, but truly the entire body of Christ - all around the world. That being said, I am going to be more intentional in getting to Mass and really taking part in this new community. I shared last night that the most uncomfortable part of Mass for me has always been Communion. We spoke at length about what Catholics believe about Communion and what happens on a spiritual level when we take the cup and the bread. I'm very much looking forward to the Easter Vigil when I will finally be able to partake. 

One of the RCIA team members recommended reading the book "The Mass is Never Ended" by Gregory Pierce. If I can stay on top of book club reading and find some spare time, I plan to order this book and would love to read it. Here is the excerpt that was shared last time that I found especially inspiring:
 

"Stick close to the Mass," he writes "Allow it to forgive you, to prepare you, and to send you forth. Leave the church as if you had been shot out of a cannon, embrace your mission to make this a better world, and develop your own spirituality of work to sustain you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment